Next story: Want Everything: Recent Work by Felice Koenig and Kevin Kegler at Indigo Art
Here's to Beer
by Brian Campbell
Fifth Annual Buffalo Beer Week To Showcase Craft Beer Renaissance In Western New York
Buffalo Beer Week will once again dominate the local craft beer scene as thee 10-day celebration returns for its fifth year. Running from Thursday, September 25th—Sunday, October 5th, 2014 Buffalo Beer Week will once again feature dozens of unique events at bars, pubs, restaurants, breweries, and other craft beer destinations throughout the Buffalo Niagara region, including many breweries that have opened over just the last few months.
The 10-day lineup features dozens of events—from tastings at your local pub to ticketed special events and nearly everything in between—including a ceremony to unveil the third annual class of inductees into the Buffalo Beer Hall of Fame which this year honors Bill Metzger of the Great Lakes Brewing News, Peter Kreinheder of Ellicottville Brewing Company, and Phin de Mink of Southern Tier Brewing Company.
“One thing is clear: that Buffalo loves beer and for that reason Buffalo Beer Week celebrates Buffalo!” said Willard Brooks, Chairman of Buffalo Niagara Brewers Association (BNBA), which organizes the annual festival. “Our Beer Week honors Western New York’s rich brewing history while showcasing the tremendous revival of our craft beer culture that’s currently sweeping the region.”
This year’s featured events include:
• Buffalo Beer Week Launch Party Thursday, (9/25) from 5-10pm at Templeton Landing (2 Templeton Terrace, Buffalo NY 14202). An event that will benefit the Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper and BNBA. Please visit bit.do/BBWLaunchParty for tickets.
• Buffalo Beer Goddesses One Year Anniversary Party Thursday, (9/25) from 7-10pm at Mr. Goodbar (1100 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo). Join beer-loving women, from aspiring brewers to homebrewers to interested drinkers and everything in between. Enjoy the malty mojo of beer and grab a pint with the Buffalo Beer Goddesses upstairs at Mr Goodbar. On tap is a limited release of craft beer from Flying Bison and Three Heads. For more information visit the Buffalo Beer Goddesses Facebook Group: www.facebook.com/groups/buffalobeergoddesses
• Brewed in Buffalo Release Party Friday, (9/26) from 7pm—12 am at the Adam Mickiewicz Library and Dramatic Circle (612 Fillmore Avenue near the Broadway Market in the city of Buffalo) Various breweries will be providing exclusive new brews along with a Polish food buffet. Participating breweries include Resurgence Brewery, Community Beer Works, Big Ditch Brewery, Hamburg Brewery, New Buffalo Brewery, Southern Tier Brewery, Pearl Street Brewery, Black Bird Cider Works, Ellicottville Brewing Co. and Old First Ward Brewery.
• Locktoberfest—Saturday, (10/4) from 12-5pm in Lockport on Canal Street along the Erie Canal. Includes: cultural programs; narrated tours of the Lockport Locks Historic District; an expanded Community Market; sampling of regional craft brewers and wineries; children’s activities; farm fresh produce & artisan demonstrations; and Erie Canal-themed music, art and photography. There will be beer for sale along with a commemorative glass from Big Ditch, Blackbird Cider, Community Beer Works, Ellicottville Brewing Co, Hamburg Brewing Co., Old First Ward, Southern Tier, and Woodcock Brothers.
• Food Pairings and Tastings, Pub Crawls and more! Throughout the 10 days of events and activities various pubs, restaurants, and retail shops that will provide beer dinners, beer and food pairings and pub crawls in communities such as East Aurora, Williamsville, and Black Rock. See buffalobeerweek.com and the 64-page program guide on display around the region for full details.
The Buffalo Beer League (BBL) will host three events during the week, beginning Sunday, (9/28), where they will be tapping their first ever collaboration beer brewed with Resurgence Brewing Company. The event kicks off at noon (tapping at 12:30pm), and while you’re enjoying the beer you can watch the Buffalo Bills-Houston Texans game on the projection screen. There will be raffles and giveaways as well, and anyone who signs up for a Buffalo Beer League membership ($40, membership good through 12/31/15) will receive a free beer in a BBL/BNBA branded stainless steel mug.
The BBL will also team with newcomers Big Ditch Brewing for a special Meet the Brewers event at Jack Astors at the Galleria Mall on Tuesday, (9/30) at 7pm. At this event you’ll be able to try a full slate of Big Ditch’s beer while having the opportunity to meet the owners and operators of the brewery. Finally, BBL will be running the East Aurora Pub Crawl on Friday, (10/3) from 5:30 to 9PM. Stops will (tentatively) include Bar Bill, 189 Public House, Aurora Brew Works, The Craftsman Lounge, Craft Tap House, Brothers, Medici House and Riley Street. If interested in attending, please email BBL co-founder Scott McMillan (firstname.lastname@example.org). Spots are limited to 25 crawlers. Head over to www.facebook.com/thebuffalobeerleague for more information.
“Buffalo Beer Week is an excellent chance to sample not only the best that Buffalo brewers have to offer, but a chance to experience the full renaissance going on in the Buffalo beer scene, all condensed into a week-long event,” McMillan said.
Buffalo Beer Week will also play host to a handful of unique craft beer dinners. Those events include:
• A beer dinner with Southern Tier at SATO on Saturday, (9/27), featuring four courses by Chef Satomi Saki Smith paired with Southern Tier brews by rep Dave Giczkowski ($30, call 931-9146 for reservations between 2—5pm)
• Bells Beer Dinner at the Blue Monk on Monday (9/29)—a multi-course food and beer pairing (call 882-6665 for reservations)
• A beer pairing dinner with Mulberry Italian Ristorante at Hamburg Brewing Company on Tuesday (9/30), which includes five courses by Mulberry paired with five Hamburg brews ($65, tickets available at Hamburg Brewing Co. and Mulberry Italian Ristorante)
• A brewers dinner with Resurgence Brewing at Osteria 166 on Tuesday (9/30), featuring five courses by Osteria 166 paired with five beers from Resurgence Brewing Co. ($65, contact Alyssa Sumers at 308-4604 for tickets)
• A brewmaster’s dinner at Gordon Biersch on Wednesday (10/1), featuring a six-course meal at Gordon Biersch paired with six of their craft beers ($50, 683-0050 for reservations)
• Hop Kitchen on Thursday (10/2), featuring five WNY chefs preparing food to pair with beers from five local breweries ($55, more details and tickets at feedyoursoulproduction.com).
“Since its inception in 2007, Buffalo Beer Week has become one of the most highly anticipated craft beer celebrations in the region and the various events continue to bring visitors from across Upstate New York, Southern Ontario, Ohio and Pennsylvania to Western New York,” Brooks says. “Successful growing festivals like Buffalo Beer Week and our first Buffalo Brewers Festival this past summer are unique ways we are celebrating the rebirth of craft brewing in the Buffalo Niagara region as well as successfully promoting the region as a destination for beer enthusiasts from all over the world.”
For more information about all of the great events taking place during Buffalo Beer Week, visit www.buffalobeerweek.com.blog comments powered by Disqus
Issue Navigation> Issue Index > v13n39 (Week of Thursday, September 25) > Here's to Beer
This Week's Issue • Artvoice Daily • Artvoice TV • Events Calendar • Classifieds