Jannik Sinner Withdraws From The US Open

|

Jannik Sinner confirmed Friday he will not play the US Open, the final Grand Slam of 2026, beginning August 30, due to a right knee injury that has kept him off the court since his Wimbledon victory in July.

"We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue," he said. "I'm obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart."

The world No. 1 had already withdrawn from the Canadian Open in Montreal and the Cincinnati Open over the past two weeks with the same problem.

He is 44-3 on the year with five Grand Slam titles in 2026 alone. He was trying to defend his 2024 US Open crown, Alcaraz beat him in last year's final in four sets.

The timing is notable because of who is coming back. Carlos Alcaraz announced Thursday he will return at the US Open after being sidelined since April with a right wrist injury, his own first Grand Slam appearance since May.

Sinner out, Alcaraz in. The two best players in the world are trading health problems this summer.

Sinner said he is focused on his recovery and that his ranking will hold, he retains the No. 1 position through at least Beijing. He will miss his first Grand Slam main draw since the 2019 US Open.