- On June 5th the spectacularly colorful Gay Pride Parade will usher in summer with a celebration so joyful even Ebenezer Scrooge would be compelled to smile.
- Maggie Cassella is an actor, writer, director and producer. She has performed on stage, on screen, and on the air, and she can do it all brilliantly. Maggie a big bad-ass brilliant queer comic-very loudly stirring up activism in her comedy with unexpected observations about something we never even noticed before, and when she takes us there...we are changed by our laughter and based on the shit state of the world these days, for that moment, we feel better.
Power IS Corruption; Are Silver, Skelos and Cuomo Victims of the Progressive Government they Fought to Sustain?BY JIM OSTROWSKI This may come as a shock but I have a slightly different take on the corruption scandal
- Straight from the pockets of commuters and tourists, the Grand Island tolls bring in $18 million a year for the NYS Thruway Authority.
- If we could ever put the interests of institutional advancement over the prissy sensibilities of cynics, we may be able to make something spectacular of the The Albright–Knox Art Gallery which barely earns 200,000 attendees annually at its Delaware Park location.
- This newspaper has learned at press time that all cases currently assigned to State Supreme Court Justice John Michalek are being reassigned to other judges in the Eighth Judicial District.
- The great U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis an early advocate of transparency in government once stated “sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants”. The Amherst Planning Board needs to bring their meetings into the sunlight for the public to see.
- Erie County Sheriff Timothy B. Howard, once again, is reminding motorists that the nanny state ‘Click It or Ticket’ revenue generator will be in effect between May 23 to June 5, just ahead of one of the busiest travel weekends of the year.
What's Happened Reboot
- The event features 20 beers by WNY breweries and showcases WNY farmers, maltsters, and hop farmers like Niagara Malt, NY Craft Malt, East Prairie Hops and Domoy Farms.
- This was one of those “feel good homestands” at Coca Cola Field in downtown Buffalo this past weekend, as the Buffalo Bisons paid homage to their parent club, the Toronto Blue Jays, and their strong relationships and synergies with our Canadian friends by hosting a Blue Jays weekend.
- The Buffalo Bandits went farther this past weekend than they have in the last eight years. After a 20-15 win over the New England Black Wolves on Saturday night the Buffalo team is now in the Champion’s Cup Finals.
- O ne of the works in the current Nina Freudenheim Gallery show of photographs by George Woodman is called Hymn to Classicism. It consists of collage-effect vertical strips of various Greek or Roman classical or classical revival sculptures, and one--one vertical strip--salon academic classicism painting. But most of the works in the show could be called hymns to Classicism, which they reference in various ways. Often by incorporating images of classical sculpture--often signature classical manner nude figural sculpture--or classical architectural elements, a Corinthian order capital, other architectural fragments. Sometimes by including a nude--or partially nude--model in conjunction with the …
Slavic Soul at Corpus Christi Camerata di Sant’Antonio Presents its First Concert at Historic Eastside ChurchOn Friday May 27 at 7pm the Camerata di Sant’Antonio will present an all-Slavic concert featuring works by Polish, Czech and Bulgarian composers at Corpus Christi Roman Catholic Church at 199 Clark Street, which is located one block east of the Broadway Market, with ample off street parking.
- The 26th Annual Artie Awards, celebrating excellence in Buffalo theater, will be presented on Monday, June 6, 2016 at 710 Main at 8 p.m. Career Achievement honors will go to Tony Conte, president of Shea’s, who is retiring at the end of the season, and who was influential in moving the now venerable Artie festivities to 710 Main last year.
- We mourn the loss of actor/singer Luther Nelson who died last week. Luther was in BUA’s all-male (except one) production of Godspell, directed by Kelli Bocock-Natale, and most recently in BUA’s summer camp show L’Imitation of Life, directed by Todd Warfield (pictured below l-r Bibi Bvlgari, Luther Nelson, Maria Droz, and Jimmy Janowski).
- AN IDEAL HUSBAND, comedy by Oscar Wilde presented by The Irish Classical Theatre Company, directed by David Oliver, starring Steve Jakiel, Ben Michael Moran, Chris Kelly, David Lundy, Gerry Maher, Kristen Tripp Kelley, Pamela Rose Mangus, Kristen Bentley, Jessica Wegrzyn, Andrea Gollhardt, Kate LoConti.
- When you’re trying to plug your new movie at the Cannes Film Festival and your young wife’s “wardrobe malfunction” grabs all the headlines, it’s never a good sign.
- BY W. DALTON WEIR I could smell the seasons in your hair; see the inexperience of time left plain on the
- I cried while reading this story, and I have no clue why. Seriously, I can’t fully wrap my head around this story, and yet something about this made me actually cry. Divinity relies on subtle plays on your emotions in order to hit you when you least expect it, even if you don’t understand what’s going on.
News of the Weird
- BY CHUCK SHEPHERD Lead Story Researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign announced they had recently (a first, they
- GEMINI (May 21-June 20): In the coming weeks I'd love you to learn more about how to heal your own pain and wash your own brain and right your own wrongs and sing your own songs.
- The Story of Anthony I was a parts delivery driver for 3 years. 2480 Autos was one of my frequent
- The Artie Award Nominations for 2016: OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION OF A PLAY City of Conversation, Kavinoky Theatre Daniel’s Husband, Buffalo United Artists My
- Early in 2007 I decided to sell my 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse and open an auto shop. I had about $2500
- Imagine a few weeks from now, a website selling a “million dollar painting” for just a thousand bucks – which
- The Echo Fair ran May 13-15th, 2016 at OSC Manufacturing & Equipment Services on Buffalo’s East Side. These photos by
- There are many reasons why you would add some artistic elements to your home. Whether you live in a contemporary,